Sunday, September 5, 2010

Pet Peeves And [maybe not-so-]Brilliant Ideas That Last A Day

Pet Peeves And [maybe not-so-]Brilliant Ideas That Last A Day
Jul 15th 2010
wolfmoonsleddog
Southeast

Location: Armuchee, GA
Time - 9:34pm Eastern Daylight Time
Temperature: 87 degrees F (31C)
Conditions: Mostly clear, hot
Forecast: Clear tonight, chance of thunderstorms tomorrow. Highs in the 90s, lows in the 70s.


Image from http://www.cafepress.com/+before_you_ask_jr_baby_doll_double_sided,26160664

Hi everyone,

This is Alice White and I just want to clear a few things up. One of my big, big, big pet peeves (besides those monogram decals that people have on the back of their car windows) is when people make big assumptions.

First off, there is the usual question that every Siberian husky owner knows: “Is that a wolf?” We’re used to it and I really try not to let it get to me. July 4th this year I had three seperate people ask me if Bonnie was a wolf. I guess it must be the double coat, bushy tail and pointed ears. It just gets old after a while.

But that’s not what really got me wound up. The “dog has pointed ears=therefore dog is a wolf” assumption is more a case of mistaken identity. I’m talking about big assumptions.

Case in point, someone was talking to my Dad the other day - about fishing. My Dad enjoys fishing and so do I - I always skunk him. But I haven’t been fishing in a long time. My Dad and I mentioned this and the other person’s response was something along the lines of “Oh, she’s discovered boys.”

Um, no. I’ve just spent the better part of two years in Northern Minnesota which means there really wasn’t much opportunity to go fishing with my Dad who was back in GA. Plus I’ve been working part-time, writing, working with dogs, getting ready to take a test so I can work on getting my vet tech degree, and I hate the heat and we’ve had illness in the family, and I know what boys are thank you very much - some of my best friends have been boys, so saying I’ve “discovered” them is like saying I’ve “discovered” houses. Okay, so I know that’s not what you meant…

“No,” I said. “I discovered sled dogs.”

It wasn’t a big thing, really, but I found it insulting - the assumption that because I’m a 20-something year old girl (though this person may have assumed me to be a teenager) that I am obsessed with boys. No, that is SO not me.

Now my MN friends are laughing at me and I know why. And yes, I will readily admit that I have a crush on a certain rockstar. I think he’s really good-looking. So sue me. But (in my mind at least) that’s a far cry from what the fisherman was implying. So not that I am not interested in guys - but I have a life and identity that decidely does not revolve around them.

This is one reason why I haven’t been able to get into the Twilight craze. I’ll admit the books are interesting but I find myself constantly annoyed because the main character has no life/identity outside of boys (of course, they are romance novels so I guess that’s kind of the point). A lot of my friends LOVE this series though…and you’ll never find me telling anybody NOT to read a book. But I might reccomend some that I like a whole lot better…In fact, I’m compiling a list of much stronger female protagonists of science fiction and fantasy.

So anyway, this all boils down to getting stirred up by the fisherman’s random but very presumptive comment. And that long ramble is just my explanation of why it got to me so much.

And now, onto other things.

Calypso is doing okay. She may be doing a little better - it’s very hard to say. It’s hard to keep her from running around like a lunatic but it’s been easier than expected. Still, she’s a little sneak. I’ve kept the door to my bedroom shut so she won’t go leap onto the bed but this morning she discovered how to open said closed door. So now we have to especially watch it. Kippy is enjoying all the attention though - she’s such a ham! A very happy dog.

Aaaand, I have ideas running around my head faster than Calypso wants to be running around the house. It’s hard to focus on the projects I’m working on (ie. “North City”) when I get exciting *new* ideas.

For instance…a few weeks ago I was listening to a song and thinking about how its music video (more of a short film than a typical video) was unrelated to the actual topic of the song. I thought hey, I should get one of my friends together to do a spoof. Years ago, riding back from Chattanooga, we had come up with this elaborate (and very bizarre) story based on a dream I’d had. I thought why not base the music video around that song. My friend and I would film this short video, interspersed with lip-synching the song.

Or that was my glorious idea at least.

Then, last night, I was listening to a band I’d just discovered - the Arrogant Worms (that sounds like an Alice band, doesn’t it?). I’d already wanted to insert a scene into the non-existant music video that used part of a Weird Al song and now I was thinking that I had to have some Arrogant Worms stuff…

By the time I went to bed the idea was a full-fledged musical about two people on a roadtrip who keep running into fictional characters from different books and movies.

And it’s not something I even think I will seriously persue but I spent a LOT of time working it out in my head.

And that’s just one example.

Anyway, this evening I went out to eat at a nearby Chinese restaurant with one of my best friends. Elisabeth and I have known each other since we were about three and still have a great time whenever we meet up. So we had a very enjoyable dinner and caught up on relevent and irrelevent stuffs.

So that’s my long yadda-yadda for today. Catch you all later!

A




Image from http://www.cafepress.com/+before_you_ask_jr_baby_doll_double_sided,26160664

Edit This
5 Comments »

5 Responses to “Pet Peeves And [maybe not-so-]Brilliant Ideas That Last A Day”
Dave Lukosik on 15 Jul 2010 at 9:01 pm # edit this

Cute Tee shirt! Saw Twilight 2 & 3, liked the wolves not the vampires, Bella is lame but Jacob is good. Edward is boring! I wonder if Disney will build a Twilight theme park? Don’t sweat the small stuff and keep your eye on the prize! Keep cool and hug a husky!

Toni Reitter on 15 Jul 2010 at 11:09 pm # edit this

OMG, the misconceptions about sled dogs in general are so frustrating, and this year it’s like all of these know it alls are coming through the line. They will sit there and argue with the dog’s OWNER and tell them they don’t know what breed they’re using. Oy.

and I am RIGHT there with you about the boy crazy comments. I have so many people that just want to hook me up with someone anyone because of my age and that’s what all girls my age are looking for. Well, yeah, it’d be nice, but I’m not going to throw myself at every guy who breathes. lol

I feel for ya, girl!

wolfmoonsleddog on 17 Jul 2010 at 12:53 pm # edit this

A “Twilight” theme park? Okay, that is just scary…Always preferred werewolves to vampires but not a huge fan of Jacob either.

Toni, I know where you are coming from. LOL! Oh the frustrations…

A

Peter Duncan on 18 Jul 2010 at 6:39 pm # edit this

Top notch rant !

The more I read your blog, the more I wish I hadn’t missed you during my visit to MCK. Funny, funny girl - that’s funny in a good way ;^)

wolfmoonsleddog on 23 Jul 2010 at 7:16 pm # edit this

Thanks, Peter!

I know, it’s a shame that I missed you - both at MCK and at Deer Creek (I think I was visiting the Berges while you were visiting the Frekings). I think we would have hit it off. Oh well, I need another excuse to get back up to Alaska sometime.

Hugs to your dogs, especially Oscar, Lightfoot and little wee Avery.

A

No comments:

Post a Comment