Sunday, September 5, 2010

Iditarod News

Iditarod News
Mar 14th 2010
wolfmoonsleddog
Southeast
Location: Armuchee, GA
Time - 2:20pm Eastern Daylight Time
Temperature: 48 degrees F (9C)
Conditions: Cloudy, windy, damp
Forecast: Showers today, lows in the 30s, highs in the 40s. Clearing tomorrow. Lows in the 40s, highs in the 50s

Photo of Blake in the 2010 Iditarod from http://www.flickr.com/photos/cderungs/4425681901/ Be sure to visit the link to see a better-quality image and many more of other teams in the race.

Okay, so I am sitting here in Georgia following the Iditarod and wishing I were back on the runners. When I talked to Jen last, though, she said I’m not missing much back at the kennel as the snow is rotten (what’s left of it). I do miss the dogs though. Oh well, I know I am more needed here right now.

Blake is currently ahead of the Siberian speed record he set in 2008. Woo-hoo! He is currently between Galena and Koyukuk on the Yukon river. I am pretty muchly addicted to the Iditarod’s GPS tracker this year. It’s pretty much Jen’s fault for getting me hooked on it with her “where’s Blake now? Where is he now? How ’bout now?”. Now with no Jen to give me up-to-the-second reports, I’M doing it too. Agh!

According to said glorious GPS tracker, the leaders in the Iditarod have reached the Bering Sea coast. Lance Mackey has passed Jeff King and is currently in lead. Behind the two rivals are Hugh Neff and Hans Gatt. Oh this is shaping up to be a fun race to follow!

In other news, I have been following the case of Justin Savidis’ dog, Whitey. Whitey apparently got loose from his team and continued down the trail (undoubtedly playing the “come get me” game that huskies tend to play at the most inopportune moments. Unfortunately nobody has since been able to catch him. Savidis scratched from the race and is continuing to search for Whitey, who has been sighted further up the trail. I hadn’t been following Snowhook Kennels up until now but they have a very cool blog - http://snowhookkennel.blogspot.com/ Too bad I came across for the reason I did. Let’s all hope Whitey returns home safe and sound.

Oh, and on a personal note, if any of you want to know more about why I am back in Georgia and what has been going on these past few months in that regard, please email me privately at gamusher @ yahoo.com (with spaces removed, of course. This is not my primary email address but I still check it on occasion. For those of you who already have my primary email, please continue to email me at that address rather than the yahoo address).

Edit This
3 Comments »

3 Responses to “Iditarod News”
Barbara on 14 Mar 2010 at 9:49 pm # edit this

Alice, in case you haven’t heard it yet, Whitey has been found and he and Justin are on their way home. Hallelujah!

wolfmoonsleddog on 15 Mar 2010 at 9:14 am # edit this

That is SUCH great news, Barbara! I am so happy to hear he is okay!

A

Wilton Diaries on 15 Mar 2010 at 7:58 pm # edit this

Argh! No more GPS Tracking for free….

No comments:

Post a Comment