Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Geek Musher

The Geek Musher
Dec 9th 2009
wolfmoonsleddog
Midwest
Location: Finland, MN
Time - 8:23pm Central Standard Time
Temperature: 3 degrees F (minus 16 C)
Conditions: Cloudy and windy with a little blowing snow
Forecast: Cloudy and windy with possible snow snowers tonight and tomorrow. Highs in the lower single digits, lows in the negative single digits.


One of those random things I find hilarious.

Still waiting on snow here at MCK. Our Winter Storm today didn’t amount to much…just a lot of wind and a couple inches of fresh white stuff. Not the big dump we were hoping for

What follows is something I posted on Facebook but I thought it would be relevent here as well as it sort of ties in with my post “I’m A Musher, Not A…?” from back in August ( http://sleddoggin.com/blogs/wolfmoonsleddog/2009/08/14/im-a-musher-not-a/ ). I feel I have really been more true to both sides of myself since that post and become more confident with who I am. I started another blog called News From The Random earlier this Fall but, unfortunately this non-mushing blog got pushed aside and I haven’t updated it like I had planned.

Oh well, best laid plans…

Anyway, what follows is a rather random Facebook post I wrote.

THE OTHER SIDE OF ALICE (OR MY RANDOM RAMBLINGS THIS EVENING)

Well I am finally starting to write down the note that has been off and on my head for some time now. Those of you who know me realize that, while I do post about sled dogs, I also post quite a bit (okay, a lot) of random geeky stuff that really has nothing to do with mushing.

I am not sure what people expect a musher’s Facebook page to be. I am friends with numerous mushers on Facebook and it’s interesting to see what they all have on their pages. Some of them focus primarily on their sled dog “addiction” while others post on a wide variety of topics. I fall into the latter category.

I am a nerd/geek who is also a musher. Don’t get me wrong, as a sled dog handler MUCH of my life is taken up by dogs and another huge portion goes into related projects (when I close my eyes right now I see piles and piles of booties). I am the first to admit that I am obsessed with mushing (if I weren’t would I even be doing what I am doing?) and I absolutely love it.

But that’s not all there is to me. I got on Facebook about a year ago in order to keep up with my best friends back in the Southeast…but of course I also now use it to keep up with friends from all over the place (including right across this room. Hah!). But around my friends I let out my slightly crazy creative side.

The geeky side with a sideways sense of humor.

Some things (usually absurd things) strike me as simply hilarious and once I start laughing, it just seems funnier and I can’t stop. Then everyone gives me weird looks and then I start laughing even harder.

I can remember random quotes and song lyrics to the point of being able to connect ANYTHING to a movie or song (ie. “That reminds me…”) and then everyone shakes their heads and laughs in near exasperation.

And I happen to love certain websites and the whole LOL community (seriously, I often say things like “I can haz furry hat!”). And if anyone mentions the Spanish Inquisition I WILL shout out “NOOOOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!”

And so on and so forth.

I named my car Shuttlecraft.

I find humor and irony in seemingly “normal” situations. I am still laughing about an incident earlier this year when I went into the Silver Bay library and happened across (I swear! I wasn’t looking for it!) the “Star Trek Technical Manual.” Of course I did the logical thing and checked it out and then left it on the couch in the cabin (open to the shuttlecraft diagram, of course) grinning with glee as I waited for someone to notice it.

As luck would have it, it was Blake who saw the manual and commented something like “I was kind of surprised to find THAT book in my house.”

To which Phil replied “But did you have any doubt where it came from?”

“No,” Blake said with a glance in my direction.

I just sat there and cackled.

This is typical of our interactions. There are dozens more similar tales I could tell but so many of them are of the You Had To Be There To Understand variety.

[interjection: Blake and Phil are watching me from across the room and commenting on my facial expressions as I write this. Jen says I have a "sneaky-sneaky grin on my face].

I could go on about my favorite “time-wasting” websites (actually, maybe I will post a list of these at a later date!!) and stupid YouTube videos (”Charlieeeeeeee!”) but I will spare you from the time being. You know what I mean if you’ve seen my posts.

So I am not sure if this note turned out exactly as I had planned…I’m just trying to explain where I’m coming from here.

So yes, I post about Minnesota and sled dogs and life in the snow (and I WILL whine about the fact that our snowstorm today didn’t amount to much). But be prepared because I also post about everything from a certain sixties TV show to a certain ’80s fantasy movie to a certain YouTube video.

And I love it when something makes sense to me but not to anyone else.

And I leave you with this:

“I don’t know the significance of that star…but this mist is important.”

[wolfmoonsleddog comment: we will now return to our previously scheduled programming]

Edit This
4 Comments »

4 Responses to “The Geek Musher”
Carrie Hirsch on 11 Dec 2009 at 5:46 pm # edit this

Going thru my stuff the other day & I noticed that I hadn’t seen an issue of D & S for a while. So, I thought I would look you up & see where you were. Glad you are still out there. Now, I had no idea just how far out there you were, & I am glad you are just THAT far out there. I like the”nerd musher” thing.
btw, you should probably check out the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster website. Peace

Dave Lukosik on 12 Dec 2009 at 12:32 am # edit this

Looks like Susan may be a lead dog on the Wolf Classic Race in 2010! Hope you get more snow soon!

wolfmoonsleddog on 26 Dec 2009 at 8:04 am # edit this

Good to hear from you, Carrie! Unfortunately “Dog & Sled” has been put on the back burner for now. I have several issues online at http://www.dx4solutions.com/dogandsled/ and there is another issue that isn’t online (yet). I love putting the magazine together but it’s just hard to find the time right now.

Glad you liked the post! I will definitely look up the Flying Spaghetti Monster when I return to MCK next week (and can’t wait to see what Blake and Phil say when I tell them what I am looking up).

Cheers!

wolfmoonsleddog on 26 Dec 2009 at 8:05 am # edit this

Dave, I hear there are FEET of snow in Minnesota. Drat, I go home for Christmas and THEN we get a big dump…

No comments:

Post a Comment