Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Deal With The Mask

The Deal With The Mask
Feb 12th 2010
wolfmoonsleddog
Midwest
Location: Finland, MN
Time - 12:08pm Central Standard Time
Temperature: 16 degrees F (-9 C)
Conditions: Clear, sunny
Forecast: Partly cloudy today, cloudy tomorrow. Lows in the negative single digits, highs in the 20s

Above photo by Don Deckert

Well, as some of you may know, I wore the mask pictured above at the start of the Beargrease 150. I got more comments on the thing from other racers and (especially) spectators, who were all very enthusiastic about it. I think I said a couple of times “Well, I was going to a masquerade but I ended up running a sled dog race.”

So I thought I’d give a little background. The mask doesn’t have any particularly *huge* significance. It was something my Aunt brought me years back when I was ten or twelve. I don’t remember where she got it but I had a blast running around with it on. Over the years, my friends and I had waaaay to much fun with the mask and there are pictures and videos of us wearing it. Then I put it under my mattress (in GA) and there it sat for the past few years.

Fast forward to last December when certain members of the MCK crew (myself included, of course) decided to look up as many versions of “The Twelve Days Of Christmas” as we could find. There was one version in particular - the “Phantom Of The Opera” version - that we got a kick out of (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7RgDMce840). We ended up ending anything that remotely resembled a list with “AND A MASK!!!!”

As you may remember, I went to Georgia-home for Christmas. While I was there, I remembered the Mask and went searching for it. I found it right where I had left it under the matress. So, when I flew back to Minnesota-home, I carefully packed it in my suitcase. At New Year I whipped it on and said “AND A MASK!” and then “Who thinks I should wear this at the Beargrease start?”

And the rest is history.


Photo by Kris Saari

Edit This
3 Comments »

3 Responses to “The Deal With The Mask”
Dave Lukosik on 12 Feb 2010 at 11:30 pm # edit this

The “Mask” added a little more color to the race start! A good reminder that Marti Grah, whose name is associated with the big party in the Big Ease, is just around the corner later this month! If you can’t have fun, what’s the point in doing it! Hooray Alice!

Handler Dave on 15 Feb 2010 at 7:18 pm # edit this

Ahhhh nice…and nicely told.

If you are anything, you are something.

wolfmoonsleddog on 21 Feb 2010 at 2:42 pm # edit this

Yeah, gotta’ have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment