Sunday, September 5, 2010

Marble Mine/Taylor's Ridge Hike

Marble Mine/Taylor’s Ridge Hike
Jul 2nd 2010
wolfmoonsleddog
Southeast
Location: Armuchee, GA
Time - 7:50pm Eastern Daylight Time
Temperature: 83 degrees F (28C)
Conditions: Partly cloudy, less humid
Forecast: Clearing tonight, sunny tomorrow. Highs in the 80s, lows in the 60s


Agh! I think she needs brushing again (and I just brushed her!). This is Susan on the trail up Taylor’s Ridge heading towards the Pinhoti Trail.

This morning I didn’t have to work and it actually felt COOL outside. The humidity was down and there was even a cool breeze. When you get that kind of weather, at this time of year, in this part of the country, you’d be crazy not to take advantage of it.

So early this morning I took Susan over to James Floyd State Park (known locally as Sloppy Floyd Park) and we went for a hike. Sloppy Floyd is somewhere I have been going since I was very, very small - mainly the playground/picnic area. My best friends and I always went there.

Weirdly enough, for all the time I spent in the picnic area/playground, I never had really explored the park’s hiking trails (except for brief forays around the edge of the lake). So that was my goal today. Susan and I hiked up to an old marble mine cut into the side of the ridge. A boardwalk leads to the back and water drips off the ledge above and seeps out of the rocks within the mine itself. There must be some sort of spring there too because the pool is quite large and the water is very clear.

There are two holes into the rock behind the boardwalk. One of them I could see the back of but the other I could not. Wish I’d brought a flashlight…

After poking around there for a bit, Susan and I hiked up Taylor’s Ridge to the top where the paths from the park join up with the Pinhoti trail. It was a gloriously clear day with very little humidity and haze - meaning the view was spectacular. We followed the Pinhoti for a while and then cut back down on another trail that said something like “Floyd State Park This Way”.

Then there was a sign that warned “Steep Grade, Foot Travel Only.”

Next time I’m hiking UP that way, not down. Fortunately Susan walks really well on a leash and knows not to pull my arm out of its socket so we were fine.

Susan loved going hiking and I enjoyed the time with her. It’s always fun to be one-on-one with my dogs. And we both got good exercise. By the time we left the temperature had warmed up ten degrees but it was only in the 70s (geez, I hate saying “only in the 70s” as if that’s actually cold).

My aunt is visiting this weekend and she and my Mom and Dad and I just went out to eat at one of our favorite restaurants. Woo-hoo. Now we are going to watch a movie - Girl Most Likely To. I’ve never seen it so we’ll see how it is.

Over and out for now. I’ll close with a picture of the marble mine.




Edit This
4 Comments »

4 Responses to “Marble Mine/Taylor’s Ridge Hike”
Dave Lukosik on 03 Jul 2010 at 10:03 pm # edit this

Sounds and looks like a nice hike! I have been using a Musher’s belt with a bungee cord and carbiner to attach the 6 ft lead, saves wear and tear on your arm, shoulder, wrist!

wolfmoonsleddog on 05 Jul 2010 at 4:45 pm # edit this

It was. That’s a good idea about the belt and something I might try as I have one in one of my boxes of equipment (that will be going in the storage shed when it’s finished!).

Dave Lukosik on 06 Jul 2010 at 7:22 pm # edit this

Just be careful where you wear that belt! For months I was wearing it too low until I figured out that the Sciatic nerve pain in my leg was coming from a pinched nerve from the placement of the belt while hiking with 2 Siberians at a time! News Flash! Zoya DeNure won back her $4,000 2011 Iditarod entry fee at the First day to register picnic and drawing! Checkout her website at Crazy Dog Kennels!

wolfmoonsleddog on 13 Jul 2010 at 6:54 am # edit this

Thanks - I’ll keep that in mind.

Zoya and John are awesome! I met them in Fall ‘07 and they have a fantastic kennel and I love their attitude towards their dogs. I was going to work for them this Summer but, as you know, that fell through.

Will definitely be cheering Zoya on in Iditarod 2011!!

A

No comments:

Post a Comment