Sunday, September 5, 2010

Happy Fall!

Happy Fall!
Sep 22nd 2009
wolfmoonsleddog
Midwest
Location: Finland, MN
Time - 9:24pm Central Daylight Time
Temperature - 64 degrees F (18 C)
Conditions: Cloudy, slight drizzle
Forecast: Cloudy tonight, clearing tomorrow. Lows in the 40s, highs in the upper 60s

The above picture (of me with Susan and Calypso in case you can’t tell) is one of the clearest taken with a cheap (like $10) camera I purchased. My logic was something along the lines of: last Winter I had my good camera out in nasty weather and it died and then I had no camera in good weather. Therefore I should get a cheap camera to use in nasty weather and my good camera will still be useable.

I just started experementing with this new cheap camera and, as you can see, the quality is not so great. Maybe I’ll try it on “High Quality” setting next time. Kim took the picture yesterday when we were taking a walk through the woods a little over half a mile from Manitou Crossing Kennels. I had been meaning to go walking in that particular section of woods ever since I arrived LAST year.

Anyway, I have gone entirely off-topic. I didn’t mean to do so - it just happened. I started rambling about the camera and…

Okay, so it’s officially Fall 2009 now. That’s pretty crazy, it seems like. It certainly LOOKS like Fall. Leaves are changing color and falling to the ground. The light is becoming more Fall-like too. But it does not FEEL like Fall (maybe a Georgia Fall but this is Minnesota not Georgia). It’s been warm when we are hooking up in the mornings and I’m wearing a T-shirt most of the time during the day. I’ll put on a windbreaker for the hookup and ATV runs but that comes off pretty quick when the teams get back to the yard. Last Saturday it was 81 degrees F in the afternoon! I saw online the other morning that it was 27 degrees F in Yellowstone National Park. So I think I’ll head out to Wyoming…

Not that I’m having a bad time in Minnesota. Far from it, I’m having a blast. Jen and I both had birthdays about a week apart so we celebrated all week long. We went to a great party near Ely last weekend (thrown by one of Jen’s co-workers from the clinic) with great food, live music and a bonfire. It was entirely too much fun!

Phil, MCK’s Irish handler, is back so the full handler crew (me, Kim and Phil) for the 2009-2010 Season is here. I really like working with both Kim and Phil. They are both great people in their own separate ways. There is a lot of laughter in the cabin when the handler crew are assembled with Blake and Jen (and Karl when he is here) for suppertime. I think there’s also some head-shaking since both Kim and I have a bizarre sense of humor and a knack for finding obscure YouTube videos that we find hysterically funny but everyone else finds weird and annoying. But we all manage to laugh at the whole situation. The dynamics and dialogue here are great!

As always, more to come!

A

Edit This
3 Comments »

3 Responses to “Happy Fall!”
Becca on 25 Sep 2009 at 4:10 pm # edit this

Alice! It looks like you’re having fun. I was wondering if you might pop on in to Husky Hijinx for a few and take a look at a thread I posted in the rescue section, there is an entire sled team in Dekalb Shelter in GA. I was wondering if you know anyone down there who I could email to see if they can help out?

wolfmoonsleddog on 25 Sep 2009 at 5:45 pm # edit this

Hi Becca! SO great to hear from you! I am having fun here - it’s great.

I will try to get on Husky Hijinx this evening. I don’t know if I can help but I know a couple of people you might contact!

Cheers!

A

Dave Lukosik on 25 Sep 2009 at 9:22 pm # edit this

Susan and Calypso look pretty happy in that photo! I saw the video of the 8 Siberians at the Dekalb Co Animal Shelter, it is cute and I hope it sparks some interest in these fur kids! I forwarded a photo of one husky to the http://www.DogsLovetoRun@yahoogroups.com website to spread the word on these huskies!

No comments:

Post a Comment