Sunday, September 5, 2010

Listening To The Frogs

Listening To The Frogs
May 7th 2009
wolfmoonsleddog
Midwest
Location: Monticello, MN
Time - 10:30pm Central Daylight Time
Temperature: 63 degrees F (17 C)
Conditions: Clear, breezy
Forecast: Clear tonight, chance of thundershowers tomorrow. Highs in the 70s, lows in the 40s

Well, we are still in Minnesota but it’s a MN entirely different from the one where I’ve been for the past nine months. We are currently staying with Dave and Bonnie Lundberg at Little Mountain Siberians (http://www.furwheeler.com/) in Monticello, not too far from the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul). We are staying here before making our way back to Georgia.

Right now I have Calypso and Susan in a crate in the room where I am staying and the window is open. Outside a chorus of frogs is showing no sign of ceasing! Spring is well underway in this part of Minnesota, far removed from the boreal forest it seems. It was amazing watching the terrain and habitat change when we came down here.

Calypso has taken an enthusiastic “ho-hum” attitude towards this trip but Susan is wide-eyed. I think she is a little stressed by her first big trip so it’s good that she has Calypso, whom she knows very well (the two have been living in the same kennel run and sharing a crate for several weeks now). Susie is rather shy around people she doesn’t know, especially when she is in strange situations like this one. Such a different personality from Calypso yet the two huskies couldn’t get along better!

It was really hard leaving Manitou Crossing and the Northwoods. However it was made easier by the fact that I will see Jen, Blake and the Jedeye dogs when I come back later this Summer. Still, it is nowhere near easy to say goodbye to a litter of seven-week-old orphan puppies you have helped raise. They are soooo cute and mischievious! They are going to be so much BIGGER when I get back! I miss them already.

I have really enjoyed seeing Dave and Bonnie’s kennel. Their dogs jumped all over me with great excitement when they smelled my jacket (it smelled like puppies from MCK I am sure). It’s amazing how much warmer it is in Monticello and how much the flowers are blooming now.

But, at least for right now, I am still “North” and still among sled dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment