Sunday, September 5, 2010

On stuffing oneself into a dogbox, “Outside” magazine articles and the 2010 Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race

On stuffing oneself into a dogbox, “Outside” magazine articles and the 2010 Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race
Mar 12th 2010
wolfmoonsleddog
Southeast
Location: Rome, GA
Time - 2:20pm Eastern Standard Time
Temperature: 57 degrees F (14C)
Conditions: Thunderstorm
Forecast: Thunderstorms tonight and tomorrow. Some storms could be severe. Highs in the 60s, lows in the 40s

Photo by Lori Hedin. This was the other day in muddy, unseasonably warm Minnesota. We had taken the orphans out for a run and, while unloading them from the dog truck, Lori, Kim and I realized that I might just be able to stuff myself into the bottom box of the dog truck. So I did. So there I am with my head sticking out of the dog box with a hairstyle that…okay, I’m not even going there!

As you will have seen from the beginning of this post, I am once again back in Georgia for a family emergency. I’m not going to go into all of that right now but this has been a hard few months for us. Hopefully, though, this is the last time I will have to be here for this reason. We encountered a hiccup but things are improving again.

Moving along to happier topics - be sure to find a copy of the March 2010 issue of Outside magazine. More specifically, check out the EXCELLENT page 72 article “It’s The Dog In You”, which has a lot of really fascinating information on how sled dogs are able to perform the way they do without burning up like a human would. The magazine also has an article about Eastern coyotes, another subject that has fascinated me. Unfortunately, that article is overly focused on aggression in said Eastern coyotes.

In Iditarod news, Blake is in the middle of the Iditarod and doing well. Unfortunately he has had to drop four dogs but, to the best of my knowlege, not for anything serious. According to the reports (and I have been following the reports online religiously) he will be coming into the Cripple checkpoint anytime now.

Jeff King is currently leading the race, followed by Lance Mackey (are we surprised? Noooooooo!) and they have reached Ruby and the Yukon River.

Again, be sure to visit http://www.iditarod.com/ to follow Blake and the rest of the Iditarod field.

No comments:

Post a Comment